There is no doubt that I love cornbread….and because of my Louisiana heritage, anything Cajun is right up my alley….
SO…when I happened upon this Cajun Beef Casserole from Taste of Home, I knew I had to try it! TBH….I’ve made versions of it several times and tweaked it to my liking and it’s a fave at my house to say the least!
This meal is not only easy to put together and quick to get on the table, but it’s extremely flavorable and EXTREMELY filling! Must be the cornbread…but I don’t mind. Serve it alongside a lightly dressed salad and you are good to go! #dinnerisserved
I also like the versatility with this recipe. I used lean ground beef, but you could easily substitute ground turkey or ground chicken for a lighter version. I may try that next!
- 1 8 oz pkg cornbread mix (prepare as package directs)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I use 93 percent)*
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cajun seasoning mix
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 1/2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 tbsp prepared roux
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (thawed)
- 4 green onions thinly sliced (1/2 for mixture, 1/2 for garnish)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste**
- Prepare the cornbread as directed on the package and layer in the bottom of a casserole dish that has been prepared with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a skilled on medium high heat and begin to brown the ground beef. Stir often and break apart the beef until just browned. (About 5 to 6 minutes.)
- Add the Cajun seasoning and stir and continue to break apart the beef.
- Stir in the garlic until fragrant.
- To the beef mixture, add the tomato paste, roux and drained tomatoes. Stir till the mixture is thoroughly combined and heated through.
- Add in the vegetables and continue to stir until the mixture is all combined. Salt & pepper to taste and make sure that the seasoning is to your liking.
- Simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes and then layer over the cornbread mixture previously prepared in the casserole dish.
- Cover with the sharp cheddar cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Garnish with the other half of the thinly sliced green onions and ENJOY!!!
#Cajuncornbread #casserole #dinner #quickmeal #foodblogfeed #foodie #homecook #foodblogger #food #ourlifesblessings #f52grams #f52casserole