OMG….my love for Sticky Toffee Pudding is so strong! So real! So bad for me!
This is amazing!!! If you’ve never tried Sticky Toffee Pudding….I feel sorry for you!
I was first introduced to this yummy English delight on a trip to the Cayman’s years ago! I’ll never forget that first bite from Calypso Grill….it hooked me. Each time I go back, I order it and it never disappoints, but sometimes, I get a craving for it and vacation is no where to be found. So, I’ve tried many different recipes for it…tweaked them and kind of made up my own personal version of it. To me…..the consistency of the cake is so important. I’ve made some that are too dense, too dry, too crumbly, too sweet, but I think I nailed it with this one!
Just look at that yumminess. O.M.G.
I want a bite NOW!
This cake recipe can be a little labor intensive, but the payoff is so worth it.
- For the cake:
- 1 stick of butter melted
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of molasses
- 2 cups of Medjool dates pitted
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1⅔ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- pinch of salt
- For the sauce:
- ½ stick of butter
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp of bourbon or brandy
- pinch of salt
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350° for 50 to 60 minutes in a buttered cake pan until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean with little crumbs attached to it. (you can even line with parchment paper for better measure)
- Boil your water and pour it into a bowl with the dates. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes, then place in a food processor and blend together. Once blended, add the baking soda, stir and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your flours, spices and salt. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, molasses and the eggs. (Mix in one egg at a time.)
- Slowly incorporate the date mixture into the wet ingredients and then incorporate the dry ingredients. Stir well...just until combined. Do not overmix. Pour into the buttered cake plate and bake. (Cake needs to cool in pan at least 20 minutes before removing it.)
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, cream and brown sugar together and bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Stirring continuously until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, bourbon and a pinch of salt.
- To plate, place a slice of cake in the center of a plate or shallow bowl and top with cream or ice cream and a healthy drizzle of the toffee sauce. This dessert is so heart warming and rich!!! I just love it!
Here’s another pic just for a recap……ah, it’s divine!
Sticky Toffee Pudding is a British dessert consisting of a very moist sponge cake made with dates and covered in a rich toffee sauce. It’s place of origin is the United Kingdom. It is considered a modern British classic.