These are yummy, yummy, yummy and so easy to put together.
For the sauce, you will need:
1/2 lb of hamburger meat
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1 medium onion chopped
2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
1 28 oz can of tomato purree
1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
1 tsp of dried oregano
2 tbsp of chopped parsley
2 to 3 cups of water
1 Parmesan rind for seasoning the sauce
For the meatballs, you will need:
1 1/2 cups of hamburger meat
3 tbsp of Parmesan cheese freshly grated
1 tsp of oregano
1/4 cup of milk
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1 tsp of red pepper flakes
- Brown the hamburger meat in the olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Once browned, add in the onions and garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add in the herbs, tomato puree, tomato paste, leftover Parmesan rind and water and stir to combine.
- Let sauce come to a simmering boil and lower the heat.
- Begin preparing the meatballs.
- Add all ingredients to the meat and mix with your hands just until combined. (you don’t want to over mix the mixture)
- Roll into balls and drop into the simmering sauce.
- Do not stir them for the first 5 minutes so that they have a chance to set up.
- Once you stir them, cover them with a lid and let them simmer slowly for about 2 hours.
At this point, your meatballs are ready and you may proceed with spaghetti and meatballs, meatball pizza, meatball subs, etc. SO YUMMY and easy! Enjoy