While watching one of my new, favorite Food Network shows this weekend, I was delightfully reminded of a breakfast treat that I was introduced to by a family friend YEARS ago!!! I remember, at the time of my introduction to this breakfast item, being amused not only by the name of the dish, but also by the process in which it was made! “One Eyed Jack’s”!!!!
We had them often as children in my home after our friend, Tina, made them for us. My sisters and I would laugh at the look of them and their name, as giggly girls sometimes do!! Nevertheless, all the giggling did not diminish the yumminess of our breakfast, nor did it hinder us from asking for seconds. What a filling and comforting way to start any day!!! I took my inspiration from “The Pioneer Woman”, Ree Drummond, http://thepioneerwoman.com and my fond childhood memories and put my own spin on an updated version of the One Eyed Jack’s for my family this morning!!! I aim to please, and that is just what I did!!! Why don’t we call it….”One Eyed Jack meets One Eyed Jill Cheesy, Bacon Breakfast Sandwich”???? Haha….try to say that 5 times really fast!!!:)
- 2 slices of bread, (any kind you have on hand will do) and make a circular cutout using a biscuit or cookie cutter….you can also just use a glass…that’s what I did this morning
- a generous amount of butter melted in the pan
- two eggs…one for each slice of bread
- salt, pepper
- one slice of cheese….provolone, mozzarella, american, whichever you like best (I see a gourmet One Eyed Jack and One Eyed Jill Cheesy, Bacon Breakfast Sandwich in my near future…)
- Bacon roasted in the oven on 400 degrees for 20 minutes….it’s just better that way!!!